Saturday 21 April 2012

Depression


The symptoms of depression can bring about some drastic changes in a depressed person’s life, daily
routines, and their behaviour. Often it is these changes that makes the depression worse and prevents the depressed person from getting better.

For example, a lack of motivation or a lack of energy can result in a depressed person cutting back on their activities, neglecting their daily tasks and responsibilities, and leaving decision-making to others.
Have you noticed these changes in yourself when you are depressed?
You may find that you have become less and less active, don’t go out much anymore, avoid hanging out with friends, and stopped engaging in your favourite activity. When this happens, you have become locked in the vicious cycle of depression,
which might look like this:


When your activity level decreases, you may become even less motivated and more lethargic.
When you stop doing the things you used to love, you miss out on experiencing pleasant feelings and positive experiences.Your depression could get worse.
Similarly, when one begins neglecting a few tasks and responsibilities at work or at home, the list may begin to pile up. As such, when a depressed person thinks about the things they have to do, they may feel overwhelmed by the pile of things they have put off doing. This may result in them feeling guilty or thinking that they are ineffective or even, a failure. This will also worsen the depression.

Reversing the Vicious Cycle of Depression
One of the ways of breaking the vicious cycle of is through the use of medication. Medication such as antidepressants can help change your energy level and improve sleep. Another way is to simply increase your activity level, especially in pleasurable activities also tackling your list of tasks and responsibilities, but doing it in a realistic and achievable way, so that you set yourself up to succeed.

Becoming more active has a number of advantages:
• Activity helps you to feel better
• Activity helps you to feel less tired
• Activity can help you think more clearly

Here’s a list of possible fun things to do.
You can add your own to this list.
1. Soaking in the bathtub
2. Collecting things (coins, shells, etc.)
3. Going for a day trip
4. Going to see a comedy at the movies
5. Going to the beach
6. Playing squash/tennis/badminton
7. Having a barbecue at the park
8. Going for a walk, jog, or hike
9. Listening to uplifting music
10. Gardening

Try some of them out and evaluate how you feel before and after the activity. Chances are, you’ll find that you’ll feel a little better. The important thing is to persist – keeping your activity levels up is the first step to breaking out of that vicious cycle!
The second step is to look at how thinking patterns contribute to the vicious cycle of depression.

Thoughts influence the way you feel. The very darkest thoughts usually lead to depression,
whereas anxiety usually stems from thoughts about being judged or hurt. And, of course,
people often have both types of thoughts.
Do your thoughts dwell on the dark, dismal, or the scary aspects of life?
Take the quiz below to determine if your thoughts reflect a problem with anxiety or depression.

Put a check mark next to an item if you feel the statement applies to you.
The Negative Thinking Quiz
❏ 1. Things are getting worse and worse for me.
❏ 2. I worry all the time.
❏ 3. I think I’m worthless.
❏ 4. I never know what to say.
❏ 5. No one would miss me if I were dead.
❏ 6. I’m afraid that I’ll get sick.
❏ 7. I think I’m a failure.
❏ 8. My thoughts race, and I obsess about things.
❏ 9. I don’t look forward to much of anything.
❏ 10. I get really nervous around people I don’t know.
❏ 11. The world would be better off without me.
❏ 12. Thoughts about past trauma keep rolling through my mind.
❏ 13. I find it impossible to make decisions.
❏ 14. I can’t stand it when I’m the center of attention.
❏ 15. My life is full of regrets.
❏ 16. I can’t stand making mistakes.
❏ 17. I don’t see things getting any better in the future.
❏ 18. I worry about my health all the time.
❏ 19. I’m deeply ashamed of myself.
❏ 20. I over-prepare for everything.

Although these thoughts can occur to someone who’s either depressed or anxious (or both),
the odd-numbered items are most indicative of depression, and the even-numbered items
reflect anxious thinking.
There’s no pass or fail mark on this quiz. However, the more items you endorse, the more you have cause for concern; specifically, if you check more than eight or ten items, you should think seriously about addressing your condition. At the same time, if you very strongly believe in any of these items, you just may have too much anxiety or depression.
If you have any thoughts of suicide or utter hopelessness, you should consult your primary
care physician or a mental health professional immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment